AMSTERDAM REGION

view all

Amsterdam City Council plans on achieving 30% waste separation by 2016 and 65% by 2020

The Amsterdam area shows all of the key assets of an innovative and economically strong region and can play a pioneering role both nationally and internationally. In order to fully exploit this potential, it is essential that governmental agencies and research institutes, as well as the business and industry sectors, collaborate in areas such as resource efficiency and waste management.

 

This region of more than 200km2 is particular, in so much as it is 25% covered by water. There are two million people living in the Amsterdam Metropolitan Area, of which 800,000 citizens live in the City of Amsterdam. The citizens of Amsterdam, 85% of whom live in tall buildings, produced 329kg of municipal solid waste per person in 2013. None of this waste goes to landfill, but only 18% of the waste is recycled. The remaining 82% is used for waste to energy purposes, with an efficiency of 31% nett electricity, while the residual heat is used for district heating that serves 17,000 households.

 

The WASTECOSMART Amsterdam regional cluster has three partners representing academia, business and public authorities. The academic partner is the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration of the VU University. The business partner, the Amsterdam Economic Board, stimulates innovation and collaboration between businesses, knowledge institutes and government organisations. The public sector is presented by the Municipality of Amsterdam and AEB Amsterdam of the City of Amsterdam.

 

The waste collection system covers 7 districts of approximately 110,000 inhabitants each. Approximately 10,000 underground containers and 145 trucks are used to collect different domestic waste streams such as glass, paper, textile, plastic and bulky wastes.

 

The Amsterdam City Council has the ambition of doubling waste separation from 19% in 2013 up to 30% in 2016, and 65% in 2020. Amsterdam’s vision is that waste should no longer exist, because waste can be used as a raw material or fuel. For this reason, Amsterdam City Council focuses on the stimulation of separate waste collection. Meanwhile, AEB Amsterdam, in charge of incinerating nearly 80% of the household waste, is transforming its operations in order to become a producer of materials and sustainable energy.

 

 

For more information about this cluster:

Amsterdam Region Cluster: http://wastecosmart.eu/en/cluster-regions/holland

Academia: VU University - Institute for Environmental Studies (IVM), www.ivm.vu.nl

Business: Amsterdam Economic Board, www.amsterdameconomicboard.com/english  

Public authority: City of Amsterdam www.amsterdam.nl/dro, Afval Energie Bedrijf (AEB) www.aebamsterdam.com

 

Contact details:

Name: Ms Evelien Adriaan                 

Company: Amsterdam Economic Board (video)

E-mail: e.adriaan@amecboard.com